Man.  What a day!  I swear, at 8:00a.m. the flood gates opened at the Floral Shop and they didn’t stop until mid-afternoon.  I was greeted by the need to make new time-cards for the pay period, 2 need-to-be-processed wire-in orders, 2 new funerals and the need to physically open the shop.  My co-workers weren’t due in for another 1/2 hour.
Sometimes we can have 5 funerals and still be quite.  Today, one of the deceased just happened to be VERY popular.  Oh, and did I mention my boss wasn’t in today?  Wow.  The phone rang off the hook, the printer accumulated orders quicker than I could get to them.  The designers had to call in a wholesaler to get more flowers in to work with.  It was insane.  Don’t get me wrong, I still prefer busy days, but after being dead (no pun intended) for so long, I think we were all a bit shell-shocked.  I’m so glad it’s done.
I also had a personal victory by standing up to a co-worker.  She made a snide remark about the time I’ve had to take off because kidlet was sick, or I was sick.  I told her that I didn’t appreciate that remark and that I’m doing the best I can with kidlet and if she didn’t understand, I can’t control what she thinks.  Damn, that felt good.  I mean REALLY good.  I’m not sitting here festering over it.  I’m completely at peace with it.  That’s 1 point for me.
Also, I got to thinking: Who in the HELL made up plant names????  I had to yell across the shop today, “Claudia, there’s a transplanting question on a Mother-In-Law’s Tongue on Line 1.”  Okay, even I found that to sound odd.  I suppose the name “Green Plant” was already taken…but “Mother-In-Law’s Tongue” or “Wandering Jew?”  I think I want my next career to be sitting around drinking thinking of stupid names for new species of plants discovered.  I wonder how much that pays?
Finally, I’m in the shower tonight, washing the accumulation of sweat, soil and insecticides off of me, when my razor decides to take it’s revenge on me.   First, a nick on my left leg, then a chunk-of-skin removing gash out of my right leg.  Great.  I finish, turn the water off and desperately call Hubby for assistance as I know that if I take a step anywhere, there will be a lot of cleaning involved.  A band-aid didn’t cut it (haha..another pun) so, here I sit with a gauze pad and tape wrapped around my leg like a battle wound.  Not to mention the tissues in the bathroom trash look like a cow got butchered in there.  Sometimes, it just doesn’t pay to bring sexy back.  I think it’s time to move to Europe—and I’m leaving my razor home.



  1. Teressa Flye said,

    October 13, 2008 at 9:29 pm

    Glad you stood up for yourself, glad you didn’t bleed to death..but they *do* shave in Europe now, so be warned 😉 I remember my mother used to have a mother-in-law tongue too…don’t know if the thing is still alive or not, hadn’t thought of that in years…used to be on the tv, back when tv’s were these big honkin’ pieces of furniture that actually looked like part of the living room suite.

    May tomorrow be a bit more peaceful, but not come to a “dead” stop. Yeah I know, that’s *bad*…

  2. Kimberly said,

    October 15, 2008 at 1:03 pm

    Good for you for standing up for yourself! I thought my tolerance for bullshit was pretty low, but took another huge dive last night. Can’t wait to be done with the FD.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: